RACE PACK PICK UP
You can pick up your race number on two of the following days:
- Friday 28th May – between the hours of 5pm and 7pm
- Saturday 29th May – 8am to 10am
- In the Car Park of the Mercure Letchworth Hall Hotel, Letchworth Lane, Letchworth, SG6 3NP… we will have a table set up in the open air as we will not be inside for Covid reasons.
- A Burnt Hare sail flag will be up for you spot us. You can collect your race number chip timing bib and your event t-shirt if you signed up to that option when you entered. Please note we will have no spares to sell by this point. What3Words App location: react.upset.tables NB: You CAN pick up race packs for family and friends, but you must tell us in advance and get permission to do. An email confirmation from them to show they have given consent will be needed. You can show the email they sent you by holding it up on your phone for us to see for proof, when collecting. RACE DAY PARKING If you are travelling to Hitchin by car, please use the following CAR PARKS. They are free on Sundays.
- St. Mary’s Square
- Portmill Lane
More information about these car parks can be founds HERE. TRAVELLING BY TRAIN
Come out of the station, turn left on to Walsworth Road (B656). A Tesco Express will be and head towards town. From here you are between 10-15 minutes away from the town centre).
PICKING UP YOUR RACE PACK ON RACE DAY
IF YOU ARE ABLE TO COLLECT YOUR PACK ON FRIDAY OR SATURDAY, PLEASE DO THIS. YOU WILL AVOID QUEUES.
On the day you can pick up from St. Mary’s Car park walkway, facing the fountain & church.
REGISTRATION WILL BE OPEN FROM 8AM
The map below will show where to come to:
WHAT TO DO BEFORE THE RACE
Wherever you are before you run, you MUST wear your mask until it is time to run. Please protect each other.
NB: THERE IS NO BAG DROP THIS YEAR DUE TO COVID RESTRICTIONS. DO NOT LEAVE YOUR VALUABLES WITH US AS WE CANNOT LOOK AFTER THEM. WE KNOW YOU WILL UNNDERTAND THIS. IT IS UNFORTUNATE FOR THIS YEAR.
Due to restrictions, we have a plan in place that you MUST follow.
- WAVE 1 You will start at 9AM – COME DIRECT TO SUN STREET AND WALK DOWN IT TO THE START. You MUST stand on a chalk X on the road to ensure distance from each other at the start. Please keep a mask n until it is time to run. It will be a rolling start for you and every other wave. The timings of the race are from start line to finish, not gun time, so do not rush past others.
- WAVE 2 go direct to the market square where you will wait behind the WAVE 1 runners on Sun Street (see map). Wear your mask until you are brought forward by a marshal into the starting pen. WAVE 2 will set off as soon as Wave 1 have cleared the starting zone.
- WAVES 3 & 4 come to Sun Street at 9:05am. DO NOT COME TO SUN STREET BEFORE 9:05am
- WAVES 5 & 6 come to Sun Street for 9:10am. DO NOT COME TO SUN STREET BEFORE 9:10am
- WAVES 7 & 8 come to Sun Street for 9:15am. DO NOT COME TO SUN STREET BEFORE 9:15am
- WAVES 9 & 10 come to Sun Street for 9:20am. DO NOT COME TO SUN STREET BEFORE 9:20am
- EACH WAVE IS A ROLLING START ACROSS THE START LINE.
- THE RACE RESULTS IS ALL BASED ON YOUR CHIP TIME FOR 2021 DUE TO NO MASS START.
- The map below will show the appropriate route to follow for all. NB: IF YOU ARRIVE IN THE MARKET SQUARE AREA BEFORE YOUR WAVE IS DUE TO START YOU MAY END UP OVERCROWDING THE AREA AND THIS WILL PUT THE RACE AND EVENT AT RISK. DO NOT TURN UP BEFORE YOUR TIME SLOT. WAIT IN THE BIG OPEN SPACES OF ST. MARYS CAR PARK WALKWAYS. IT WILL TAKE 2 MINUTES TO WALK OR LIGHTLY JOG TO SUN STREET WHEN IT IS YOUR TURN TO RUN.
DURING THE RACE
The route starts with 1 lap of the town roads for the first kilometer, then you will head out to the underpass and a turnaround section on Willow Lane before continuing into the local villages of Gosmore and Chalrton.
You will return the way you came, doing the turnaround point again and the underpass, before doing almost the same 1km you did at the start.
Do not worry, the entire course will have signs and arrows for you so you cannot go wrong…!
Follow the course signs for the course and listen to marshals. Remember, although many roads are closed, cars will still have access to the car parks and traffic will still flow the other direction.
There will NOT be a drinks station on the course. This is due to Covid restrictions. We apologise but this is out of our hands and in compliance with local council rules to reduce the chances of spreading Covid by several means.
Please carry a recyclable or personal water bottle with you. We will provide a couple of black bins out on the course for you to dispose of the bottles if you choose to do so. These bins will be with a marshal before the 5km mark. DO NOT LITTER.
When you overtake another runner, please give them space.
Remember that not every road is closed, and some access points are still needed so please be vigilant.
Please thank every marshal you see when possible. Every one of them has given up their free time and we cannot hold these events without them.
AFTER THE RACE
- You will cross the finish line.
- Please put your mask on when appropriate and you have caught your breath back.
- Please go to the table with bottles and your finishers medal on and collect one.
- No not touch anything apart from the bottle and medal that you collect.
- Please do not hang around the market square. When possible, please vacate the area.
- Hitchin has many great shops and market to visit, so enjoy what we have to offer! STAY SAFE RESPECT THE PUBLIC FOLLOW THE RULES ENJOY THE EVENT
THE BURNT HARE EVENTS FAMILY